19th C. Historical Staffordshire Transferware Plate – “Writtle Lodge Essex”
Staffordshire transferware plate manufactured by Andrew Stevenson, circa 1820.
Dimensions: Approximately 10¼” diameter.
The border is decorated with a floral patter featuring roses.
The central scene is of a country house on a hill above a river with swans.
The reverse has a printed cartouche with the words “Writtle Lodge Essex” and the impressed mark of the Stevenson firm.
Writtle Lodge, also known as Great Waterhouse, was built on the River Can by George Bramston in 1712, later becoming the seat of the Fortescue family. The village of Writtle, two miles west of Chelmsford, was the birthplace of Robert the Bruce, later King of Scotland, in 1274.
The source print, "Writtle Lodge, The Seat of of Adml. Fortescue, Essex", dated April 1, 1819 and from Thomas Cromwell's "Excursions in the County of Essex".
“The Dictionary of Blue and White Printed Pottery 1780-1880 Vol. II” by Coysh and Henrywood.
The Transferware Recorder 2, “Selected British Views”, by Henrywood.
Condition: Tiny glaze flaws at the cavetto, some staining and glaze hairline on reverse; otherwise in excellent condition consistent with age and usage.